Thursday, June 12, 2008

Moving Green(ish)

I can in no way say that my move back to Chicago will be a "Green" move. I will be driving 500+ miles, I am using lots of boxes, etc, etc, etc. But I am trying.

Moving out of college dorm rooms four years in a row, I tended to box up the important stuff and throw out the rest. As a person who grew up recycling, that is weird behavior. But I am also a person who hates to move, and so that side has generally won out. This year, however, I decided to try and throw out as little as possible. While I can't call the experience a complete success, I think I've made some steps in the right direction.

I've posted almost 20 ads on Craigslist and Richmond.com and have sold almost half of the items that I put up for sale. I have recycled every piece of paper that I no longer need. I am dropping two large bags of food off at a friend's apartment tomorrow afternoon. I have been to Goodwill's Second Debut store three times to drop off carloads of clothing that I no longer wear and assorted odds and ends that still have some useful life left in them.

Aside from a terrible woman I met today who picked up two dressers that I listed on Craigslist (Pauline from the West End: if you truly think what you did today was decent human behavior, you need a tune-up. Or an overhaul.), I'm glad that I chose this route. The only real problem is that throwing things away was about 10 times faster.

No comments: