Friday, October 13, 2006

Speaker Series: Brian Hurewitz

This week's speaker was Brian Hurewitz, VP, Senior Art Director/ACD at Green Team USA. Green Team describes their mission as guiding their clients into the hearts, minds and homes of Awakening Consumers. They aim to do great work while advancing society and the environment. I think the concept is very interesting, especially considering their client list, which is not your typical Smokey the Bear environmental type stuff. I had never heard of Green Team before this speaker event, so if you're in that boat I urge you to check out their website at www.greenteamusa.com.

Brian spoke a lot about his journey from Florida beach bum to the advertising world. He was one of the more humorous speakers we've had to date. However, instead of focusing on that aspect of his speech I would rather spend time talking about Green Team's secondary site, www.afterthesemessages.com.

After These Messages gives everyday people like you and me the opportunity to view and review current advertisements. After you answer their questions, they will show you on a four-square diagram where you rated the advertisement (one axis is heaven vs. hell, the other is hack vs. genius) and where other people rated it. If you rate enough of them, you win points and get prizes. Aside from the fact that there are rewards attached to this site in the form of pencils and jewelry, I think this is just a generally cool idea. In my many hours of free time, I plan to review some ads and see how my views measure up.

Overall, what I got from this speaker was the concept of acting responsibly, as a consumer, a client and an advertiser.

No comments: