Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Volvo's Heartbeat Sensor

Is the world such a scary place that we need to have heartbeat sensors attached to our car keys to have upfront knowledge about people lurking by our cars?

I saw a Volvo commercial last night that spent their 30 seconds speaking only about the key. No car features, no open road shots, no shiny paint jobs. Just a small and frightened looking woman clutching her ominously flashing Volvo key.

I can't decide whether I think this is brilliant or just a cruel way to capitalize on the fears of overimaginative women. Either way, it's getting lots of attention. A Google search for 'volvo heartbeat key' produced 47,200 results.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I'm the very last to leave our office building, that dark, empty parking lot is pretty spooky, even though I know the chances of someone lurking there are nearly zilch.

When my hip hurts and I'm tired from a long, long day, I'm happy for anything that can lighten my burden.

I'm too old to try for absolute bravery. If there is something that can make me feel a little less scared about getting in my car, what is so bad about it that it should elicit scorn from others?

If you live where the streets are always busy, where you have friends or colleagues around you always, or where you know that you are fit enough, young enough, fast enough and strong enough to fend off any attacker, I can see why you might not understand.