Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mike Lear

Today's Creative Thinking teacher was a Sr. Copywriter from the Martin Agency, formerly of CP+B. I thought one of the most interesting parts of his class was the time that he spent talking about the more personal side of the business. Mike was very candid with us and talked a lot about how he dealt with having his ideas thrown out time and time again. A Mike Lear quote to remember: "Those who stew let the venom get to them."

He recommended a few books, which I will read someday ... perhaps this summer once Don Just and his immense workload no longer haunt my dreams.

"Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg
"Hey Whipple Squeeze This" by Luke ______________
"Cutting Edge Advertising 2" by Jim Aitchison
"Hooplah" by CP+B

Lear's advice: read those books in that order.

My addendum: I may have butchered several of those authors' names. My apologies, but I'm too tired to look them up at the moment.

No comments: