Friday, September 1, 2006

One week down, 59 to go

I've made it through my first week. Orientation and my classes were a blur. As usual, I've been having trouble remembering everyone's name. Proper nouns were never my forte. I've already been told several times that brevity is key around here, so to summarize my week:

Orientation: Very neat to see everyone together. We're the largest Adcenter class yet and have already been yelled at for not knowing what a PVR is. What is the difference between a DVR and a PVR? Holy Boyko!

Creative Thinking: Any class that starts out with the analysis of a poem is good with me. It soothes me to know that the teachers here believe in and practice the idea that creativity beyond advertising is important to discuss as well. My teacher, Mark Fenske (www.markfenske.com) made it clear that those who showed up to class late would get peed on. His words, not mine. As Professor Fenske has gone back to working at Weiden, our class will be taught by a series of guest teachers.

Media Research & Planning: Donna spent a lot of time talking about how this course would be a review for most people, which worried me. Trust me Donna, they don't teach HUTs and PUTs to Drama majors.

Business of Advertising: Wow. Don Just is exactly the man that rumor states him to be. He requires business attire to be worn in class and is quite striking really. What presence -- a bit scary, but quite admirable. As Professor Just stated in his own words, he IS the bar at the Adcenter: he sees every students and weeds out the weak. I must be strong.

Quantitative and Qualitative Research: I wasn't excited for this class ahead of time but it actually looks quite cool. Again, this is a course that is a refresher for all the advertising and marketing undergrads, but a totally new subject for me.

No comments: